Saturday, February 5, 2011

Personally, I love Wintertime and snow,

but I do enjoy a little sunshine on occasion! Seems that lately we've all had nothing but cold temperatures, rain and snow so I thought I'd share a few "warmer" things. In case you're wondering, yes - those are pillowcase dresses that Sara and Anna are wearing and they are made from actual pillowcases. Now, I'm usually not a big fan of the pillowcase dress (although I've seen some cute ones) because I always enjoy a challenge, and well, they just aren't very challenging to me. These are even more rare (for me) because they are made from a pillowcase. Occasionally someone will ask me to take a perfectly good garment apart and make something else from it - I just can't! It's not my nature to destroy something that is perfectly good and useful, even if it is to make something else.

A couple of years ago while on a family trip to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge I found these linen pillowcases with a crocheted edging on clearance for $2.50 in a quilt shop. I must've been in a destructive mood that day, because I immediately thought they would be perfect for pillowcase dresses. They were constructed with seems on all three sides (instead of having been cut on the fold of the fabric) so I was able to remove seams and create a casing for the gold silk ribbon shoulder ties. I removed enough of the side seams to allow for an armseye. The good thing about this is that after my girls have outgrown them as dresses, I can remove my casing seam and sew all the openings closed again, and they can use them for pillowcases (I just love when you get your money's worth!)




Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog and I just love it!! Could you do a tutorial on how to make those cute boys swim trunks with the little smocked inset? Also what is you favorite boys shorts pattern that would be appropriate for the swim trunks? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete